Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sometimes where to begin is the hardest part

As I start this entry it is 12:44 a.m. It's a funny time to be starting a blog entry but if you are a devoted writer, you know we keep odd hours. When I was at college, I found the best time to write was in the middle of the night, usually around 4 a.m. and when I was hopped up on caffeine. I'd go to the library and there would be various other people pulling all nighters. I knew it was quitting time by the sound of a familiar obnoxious voice: "GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!" That was usually around 8 a.m. and I knew at that point that no more concentrating would get done. Now that I live back at home, I can't keep that same focus. Yes, I still drink coffee at 11 p.m. but there are so many more distractions that happen. I don't have to worry about others watching me watch some random video on you tube. Now, instead of focusing all that energy into something productive, I spent the night watching Robin Hood (1973 Disney Version) in 10 minute clips on YouTube. Not exactly a whole lot going on there.

The real reason I wanted to stay up was so that I could get some real writing done. About now I get to the point where I am too tired to work but have too much caffeine left in me that I cannot sleep. I've actually gotten better at keep a journal around this time. In the past I was so worried that I would have to write everything that happened in my day religiously but that failed miserably. Writing about yourself gets boring and the only time people care if you keep a journal is if you're Jackie O and you have some infamous scandal that people are going to actually read about 60 years from now.

Actually if you can just let your hands/pen do the talking, that is when the BEST journal work comes out. Everything is raw and you don't have time to filter anything out because you're so exhausted that your brains sensor has gone to sleep for the night. I often wonder if Kerouac had the same idea. (Not that I'm comparing myself to him but still...) The best part about this is I look back at what I wrote in the morning and it still makes complete sense. It's as if I don't get a chance to judge myself at night and working through my issues comes easier in the morning. (One day I'll have to share some of my scribblings but right now I seem to have misplaced my journal.)

I hope tomorrow I can look back at this and not say that I got nothing done but rather I actually remembered the password to this blog I got to follow my friend SonshineThoughts and actually wrote in it. Amazing. (So is her blog btw.) It is now 12:58 p.m. and I am done. 14 minute blog. I am going to start timing my blogs.

1 comment:

  1. 1:30 - I'm reading the blog :) I don't feel coherent though, so that's kind of a fail right there... but I see you found your way over to my blog. I'm not sure what those two have to do with each other. Like I said. Incoherent :)

    ReplyDelete